Alabama First Responder Peer Support
Free, confidential support for Fire Service & Emergency Medical Personnel
The PAIN of first responder survival is not just fighting...
37% of firefighters have suffered from PTSD
A firefighter commits suicide ~every other day
Firefighters are 3x more likely to die on the job
Silent signs of First Responder Stress:
- Sleep disorder
- Alcohol/prescription drug abuse
- Physical ailments
- Late for work regularly
- Feeling pessimistic, hopeless, or depressed
- Physical/emotional pain
- Suicidal thoughts (call immediately)
- Inaction on the job, anger, secretly crying, bitterness
What else should I Know?
- Because you are doing an extremely difficult job that no one outside of first responders understand, you are likely having normal reactions to stress. There are some simple things you can do to help and heal yourself.
- Eat healthier & drink more water
- Drink less caffeine/alcohol
- Get an annual physical exam
- Exercise daily
- Get some rest
- Talk with someone you trust