Alabama First Responder Peer Support
Free, confidential support for Fire Service & Emergency Medical Personnel
The PAIN of first responder survival is not just fighting
37% of firefighters have suffered from PTSD
A firefighter commits suicide about every other day
Firefighters are 3x more likely to die on the job
Though we are not counselors, we have suffered through the pains of being a first responder.
Silent signs of First Responder Stress:
- Sleep disorder
- Alcohol/prescription drug abuse
- Physical ailments
- Late for work regularly
- Feeling pessimistic, hopeless, or depressed
- Physical/emotional pain
- Suicidal thoughts (call immediately)
- Inaction on the job, anger, secretly crying, bitterness
What else should I Know?
- Eat healthier & drink more water
- Drink less caffeine/alcohol
- Get an annual physical exam
- Exercise daily
- Get some rest
- Talk with someone you trust
- Alabama Act 2018-416 assures all communications with us are privileged.